Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Faith

This is July 1st. Chilly, but still July. Yesterday I realized what today means: I can now say we are going to Mexico THIS MONTH!! It's exciting because our whole group has been working endlessly in preparing for this trip - sending out many many support letters and emails, getting passports, which was a complete unexpected hassle on my part; doing odd jobs for friends and family, making casseroles to sell, getting VBS supplies, and now the Bauwens have gotten our flight tickets to and from Mexico! A mission trip takes a lot of work. It's not something you do on a whim - believe me, raising $1000 is harder than it seems! And I can't begin to imagine all the work Joe and Becca have gone through to get everything organized so we don't have any problems. Thanks!!

After tonight is when I am going to start planning what (and what not) to pack. I'm getting a carry-on bag from my friend Kay, and a second suitcase from my other friend Beth. Not quite sure how much room I'm actually going to need since I've never planned to go out of the country before. But we get a packing list from church tonight, so that will help a lot.

In the past few months I have really seen God working in this area of the mission trip. I was just reading my friend Lizzie's note on Facebook about "walking by faith". It was truly an eye opener. When the idea of a trip was mentioned a few years ago, I got my hopes up just to be dashed. Then, when the idea came up again towards the end of last year I wasn't too excited about it yet. Partially because I knew my mom would never let me go. Second because I plainly didn't think it would fall through ... but it did! It took me and others some time to convince my mom that everything would be safe for me to go, and she - eventually - let me go. All it took was patience and FAITH. I want to end this by quoteing part of what Liz said. Please think about this: "To doubt myself in these endeavors is to doubt God. 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.' If God wants and wills something to happen then it's going to freaking happen! ... I need to stop doubting myself and God and do what I am passionate about."

1 comment:

  1. If you need any packing suggestions, let me know! I've never been to Mexico, but I have been out of the country on a few occasions.

    ReplyDelete