Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Keep in the Word

The last few weeks in Sunday School Joe has been teaching us teens about growing spiritually. On the 7th, we discussed what makes us grow, as well as keeps us strong and healthy. Physically, we need food and water, sleep, exercise, and trials. In relation, the spiritual food and water is the Bible; sleep could be going to church ... I'll get back to that one; exercise is witnessing; trials help us lean on the Lord.

Back to the point on spiritual sleep. This is just my idea, as I wasn't able to mention it in SS. You know how we sleep physically, but even though it's resting, sleep still helps us grow? If we didn't sleep, our bodies would eventually shut down. Along the same lines, when we are sleeping spiritually (going to church), we are still growing AND getting rest. When we are out in the world, it takes work to be a good testimony, to witness. Why? Because the world is full of unbelievers who, most of the time, want to draw us away from anything we believe in. Being in church, however, takes the stress off. I'm not saying that we don't need to be a good witness/testimony to our brothers and sisters in Christ; there are still those without Christ even in the church. My point is that if we were to never go to church, our bodies would -once again- shut down ... spiritually. Even though church could be considered as rest, it is still a vital part of the Christian life if we are to grow.

Ok, so I went somewhat on a rabbit trail with this, but I felt the need to share my thoughts on "spiritual sleep". What I really want to stress is what I learned this past Sunday in class. Nathan Drushinin taught about the attributes of the Bible. Now I certainly can't explain it the way Nate did, but I want to give you the parts that struck me most.

"If you give someone a fish, they'll eat for a day; teach them to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime." This is the illustration he started out with. If you teach/show an unbeliever (or even a Christian) a verse, they might remember it for a few days, but then lose it. Teach them how to read the Bible for themselves and they will be able to use that always.

One issue that I've heard hundreds of times before but it never really hit home until now was in Matthew 5:18 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Nate drew two symbols on the board (Greek or Hebrew, I don't remember), then drew two more which were almost the same as the previous ones ... but with one little mark different on each.

Aside from my horrid drawing skills, look at the pictures and see if you can catch the difference: see how small and seemingly insignificant that is? Well, God cares so much about every "dot on the i's and cross on the t's". The Word of God is perfect and indestructible.



So what is it that keeps us from reading this perfect, flawless book called the Bible? Many times it's our busy lives: there's just so much to do and not enough time, right? But why can't God and His Word be top priority in our busy lives? After all, He created and died for us. The most we could do is strive to be more like Him -- by reading!!

One other thing Nate taught was that out of all the spiritual armour, the Bible is the only offensive weapon. We use the sword, helmet, shield, etc... to protect ourselves. The Bible, though, is used to fight off the enemy. I never thought of that before, and maybe you haven't either.

I know this was longer than usual, but I trust this has been of some help to you. I pray for every one of you all the time. Many times I fail to keep in God's Word myself and am trying to become better at it. Thank you for your encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment