Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Unexpected Weekend

Each year at our church, we have a turkey shoot for the men. It's a fun activity, as well as a wonderful witnessing opportunity. For the past few years I haven't had much of a desire to help, which isn't like me at all. I usually love helping in any way I can when it comes to church activities, but the turkey shoot isn't my favorite. Yet somehow I felt differently this year, so I offered my help.

It turned out to be a nice day. The temperature was in the 60s, and the sun was out and shining. The turnout was the best we've ever had, with around 25 men showing up, and numerous helpers. Every time we have this activity, a lady from our church, Miss Cheryl, does the counting after the men have shot their targets; this is what I helped out with. In previous years, we've done it outside in the cold, with papers flying everywhere. This time, we were thankful to be able to count inside the church building. During the middle of the afternoon, while we were all having a lunch break, I got the chance to talk to another sweet lady and good friend of mine in our church, Mrs. Behn. 3 out of 4 of her kids are away, two of whom are in college, the other living in another state. I can tell Mrs. Behn really misses them because she talks about them all the time. It's always such a blessing to spend time with this lady, because she loves the Lord so much, and is such an encouragement to me.

Sunday after the morning service I went home with Mrs. Miller and her niece Annie. I've been getting to know Annie better, as she's been coming to church more. I'm just trying to be a good Christian friend to her, in hopes that my example along with others' in the church might possibly show her the way to the Lord. Anyways, my reason for going to the Miller's was to begin studying for my ACTs, which I'll be taking at the beginning of February of next year. Mrs. Miller is helping Annie study for her's as well, using the "ACTs for Dummies" book. I got through the first 2-3 chapters of the book, all of which covered the English part of the test. I also took the practice test and (according to Mrs. Miller) did pretty well ... always plenty of room for improvement of course :) I'm feeling a bit more confident about the ACTs, and Mrs. Miller is so kind to offer her help in this!

For those of you who have been praying for me, I want to thank you. Each and every one of you mean so much to me. I don't deserve to have such loving and caring friends, yet the Lord has still blessed me; I appreciate the unique friendships I have with all of you, no matter where you are in the world. May the Lord bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment