Friday, August 21, 2009

"Randomness"

Yep. You read that right - randomness. I haven't written something new here since the beginning of the month, and I know (from my own experience) that when someone's blog isn't updated for a while, you tend to lose interest and stop following it. I don't want that to happen. So I guess whatever comes along is what's going to be on here for today :)

There are a few things that have been on my mind lately, the biggest being my friends leaving for college. I said goodbye to so many people in the past week, people who are good friends of mine. It would be a different story if they were all going to Maranatha ... haha, just kidding! Seriously though, you name a state and my friend's going to be there. Beth left early Monday morning for PH in Virginia. Her mom works at the reception dest at our library. Mrs. Vehlow would always comment on Christian books or videos I checked out, asking if I liked that particular selection or saying what a great movie such-and-such was. Well, I didn't want to outright ask her if she was a Christian, so instead I wrote her a note with a verse at the end. She wrote one back saying she had her kids memorize that exact verse! Which is how I ended up meeting and becoming friends with Beth. We awkwardly emailed each other for a few months, then I ran into Mrs. Vehlow, Beth, and her younger sister Sarah at the library, which is where we first met in person. Since then we've gotten together for different events. I was also able to meet some of Beth's friends, who are some of the most awesome people ever! Being homeschooled and all makes it harder for me to make friends, which is why I'm so glad to have befriended the Apple Tree group (their homeschool group, at least for most of them). As all of you know I am a shy person. The Apple Tree-ers, well ... aren't. And yet they still welcomed me into their group, encouraging me to join in on games and other activities. I'll bet you that a third of my friends on Facebook are people I've met through Beth and her friends. I am going to miss her very much, but I also know that this is God's plan for her life.

Then there's Kay ... wow! There are just no words to describe her. She's everything a friend ought to be and more. I can't remember how many years ago it was when she and her mom first came to our church. We were having a meal after one of the services. Mrs. Miller was such a great person; I knew that even as we were first meeting each other. Then she introduced her daughter, Kay. I said something like, "Hi. My name's Sarah." She replied, "Hi." That was it - no smile, no I'm Kay, nice to meet you . Nothing. My first thought: This is never going to work. Goodness was I ever wrong! Kay started coming to youth group on Wednesday nights and to Sunday School on Sunday mornings. With our yg being so tiny you get to know everyone there in a matter of weeks. That's the way I got to know Kay better. Now we're really good friends and I miss her each time she's not at church. I wouldn't put her in the category of being shy, nor in the outgoing group. But she's amazing either way. She leaves for Hope in one week as of today. Her last Wednesday with us is next week. God is going to use her to bring glory to Him while at college.

The person I think I will miss most is my best friend Chelsea. I've only known her for a year and a half, yet I can go to her with anything and she's there for me. I've never had a friend with whom I could do that. I won't go into detail, but because of her dad's job the Behns had to move, and they moved out here from Wisconsin. When the family first started coming I wanted more than anything to talk to them, but once again my shyness held me back. After a few weeks I decided just to go up to Mrs. Behn and introduce myself. Actually, there was going to be a teen activity coming up and I wanted to see if Chelsea and Riley wanted to come. I didn't know their ages, but they looked like they were both still in high school. So I caught Mrs. Behn as she was headed out the door. After mentioning the activity she went and got Chelsea from their van - I didn't ask her to do that, mind you :) But it was great anyways because that's when I first talked to Chelsea. It was a bumpy road to friendship. One I would take all over again if it meant being where I am today. Because of some unexpected family problems now, I'm not sure whether Chelsea will still go to Northland this fall or attend a community college for a while. I feel badly, because I was always saying how much I was going to miss her going all the way to Northland and wished she could just stay here. Now I'd give anything to see her go where she wants to be right now. It's all in God's hands though.

Three moms, three friends, three people I will never forget. God had a reason for placing Beth, Kay, and Chels into my life. He is such a good God, knowing the right time for everything. He is going to take care of my friends, and for that reason alone I feel at peace with letting them go. Besides, they'll be back for breaks and such, and I myself will be at Maranatha next fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment